Monday, April 25, 2011

Opening: Act. 3 Die Walküre MET: Ride of the Valkyries - O hehrstes Wunder - Ring of Fire


There were some great valkyries in this ride. Molly Fillmore, for one, who sang Helmwige. I was much happier about this act than I thought. Although I rest my case with D. Voigt's German and text etc., she gave a heartfelt performance. Her "Fort denn eile" was not exciting enough, as wasn't Sieglinde's "O hehrstes Wunder", the reason why hers is one of the greatest roles in all repertoire. But Wray sang her part well, even if less secure than in the 2nd act (it's also higher and more hysterical). Voigt stepped-up emotionally after Sieglinde's departure and Terfel was very threatening and gave a great finale, singing his last note as if he were glad it was the last. Well, I'm sure they were all exhausted! The music was beautifully played, especially the beautiful themes once Brünnhilde is set to sleep. Well, let's see what the HD brings. I'm curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment