Sunday, April 24, 2011

Opening: Act. 1 Die Walküre MET Jonas Kaufmann + Eva Maria Westbroek

Let's face it: Jonas Kaufmann was the most noble singer at least of this act. Unfortunately I haven't heard the rest yet. He sounds so solid and secure in his technique, expression, and of course phrasing. I really hope to hear accounts from people who actually were there as far as his sound projection is concerned. When I saw him in Munich I couldn't hear him that well.
I liked Hunding too, a young and full bass sound. As for Eva-Maria Westbroek: I know she can do better. She was most obviously sick, completely congested and gasping for air through her mouth, which is exhausting. Chapeau to her for singing in tune and getting through "Der Männer Sippe", the duet, and "Du bist der Lenz". I could tell she was not using all of her voice and still managed to produce some pretty sounds. What a pro!
I'm anxious to hear the rest and hopefully see the HD broadcast. Thanks to Rob V. for indicating the link to download Act. 1.

1 comment:

  1. I picked up a comment from LISTSERV 15.5, from Jacqueline Eubanks, that seems to confirm what you're saying, in a way:

    "Kaufmann gave a lovely and nuanced performance of Siegmund, but from where I was sitting the voice had insufficent cutting power to penetrate the dense orchestration of Act One. Yes, you could hear him, but no, this was not an indelibly memorable protrayal. The shadow pantomime accompanying Siegmund's recounting of his dismal childhood distracted from his narrative, rather than enhancing it."

    ReplyDelete