Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Marilyn Horne - What a great woman

Her career spans over 40 years. Her close friends and family call her Jackie
 because she made an appearance on The Odd Couple as a character named "Jackie".

I had the great pleasure of meeting this remarkable woman this October. When I sang for her, she was incredibly insightful, helpful in her comments and advice, and supportive and generous with her encouragement.
She wasn't sweet or motherly, but she said things exactly as they were, which is always greatly appreciated. I was surprised when she wanted to learn about my life, saying that it would help her understand me better.
She suggested specific roles and said that in order to sing them well I needed to work on my lower register. She said that I reminded her of the old gals she listened to, like Flagstad and Traubel. I couldn't have asked for a nicer compliment. Funny, I've never felt like a modern woman :)
We talked about fear and nerves, about having to put yourself first. The latter is more difficult than anyone imagines, if you are the sort that wants to make everyone happy. She said that nothing should bring you off track, that things like excercise, eating well, and practice should be my priorities. Yes, whew, it's true.

Since meeting Marilyn Horne I have been inspired to go out and seek what I need to get where I want to get.
I have a lovely picture of the both of us but promised not to put it on the internet. So sad, but I'll keep my promise Ms. Horne! Thank you so much!

2 comments: