Sunday, December 26, 2010

the twin sister


Yep, she knows what she's talking about. When the hooded old man appeared, gleering at me with one eye from the shadow of a drooping hat (or hood, how it is often portrayed) I knew it had something to do with me too.
I really look forward to seeing her and J. Kaufmann in Die Walküre at the MET. I discovered Eva-Maria Westbroek learning "Der Männer Sippe". Her voice is big & beautiful, although she shows the beauty more in the Italian than in the German repertoire. Also sounds more like a soprano in the former.
Her energy however is what Wagner likes. And what she says about "O hehrstes Wunder" is exactly how I feel. I'm sure Jessye Norman feels the same way :) below in this memorable performance where she seems to blast away poor Brünnhilde (Hildegard Behrens).
Here's an article and interview with Eva-Maria Westbroek. When she talkes about the bowling buddies I wonder if she's referring to this one scene in The Big Lebowski.
Interview with EMW

No comments:

Post a Comment